 Off-Topic / Debate / 9556
Re: Disney actually did this with "Lion King"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:00:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Maxwell writes:
Does "Muggle" have precedence before Stouffer? If so, then obviously she
can claim no exclusive authorship of the name. If not, then she has a case,
regardless of Rowling's different use of the term. Still, if I make "Ronald
McDonald" my Scottish-themed restaurant's mascot, claiming that the name
existed before the Golden Arches grabbed it, do you think I wouldn't be sued?

There was a long discussion on this in various Harry Potter web locations.
Yahoo Groups is where I saw it.  Anyway, they came up with multiple uses of
the word Muggle going back at least 50 years.

  That's wild.  I guess my question is whether there's an established
context of use for the word, or if it's just out there in the world.  I
mean, I'm sure someone in history, while wielding his non-cumbersome sword,
might have commented "Gee, that's a light sabre", but that doesn't really
count as the precedent for George's use, obviously.
  What was the conclusion about "Muggle's" origin?  The word doesn't appear on
www.dictionary.com
http://babel.uoregon.edu/slang/SD_Search.html
or
www.peevish.co.uk/slang/search.htm

all of which, admittedly, don't address coined words' appearances in
fiction.  However, a quick search of eBay for "LEGO" will dump out thousands
of hits, including porcelain salt shakers and electronic equipment wholly
unrelated to our favorite brick.  If the word exists, that's one thing, but
if a clone brick competitor produced very similar (though not identical)
toys and called them LEGO, would there be a trademark issue?

     Dave!