 Off-Topic / Debate / 9544
Re: Plagarism in Fantasy Novels? (was Re: Harry Potter?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:57:53 GMT

Donaldson was just too depressing...

I am a leper.  I feel sorry for myself.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Donaldson is
one of those love or hate there is no in-between authors.  I'm on the hate
side.

  One thing in Donaldson's favor is that he isn't afraid to make his
protagonists wholly unlikeable characters, as opposed to nice guys who do
things as nice guys and end up as nice guys when the story is over.  It's
the age-old redemption-story, of course, but when it's done in a
believable--or at least sympathetic--fashion it can make for some
interesting storytelling.
  Having said that, it's pretty hard to read the chapters and chapters and
chapters of sickening self-pity without vomiting.

Alas, my fantasy knowledge fails me: who is Gemmell?

  Isn't that the guy Beowulf beat up?  8^)

     Dave!