 Castle / 8214
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:03:23 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti writes:
Bruce writes:
Sword of Shanara

Richard writes:
To what, more precisely, are you alluding to?

Ah, I see -- the Lord of the Rings, right? Since I haven't read either
series I would be interested in the kinds of similarities that appear to
exist in both works.

O' Mighty Tolkien!  Who can stand in thy counsels?

Sword of Shanara?  I don't recall that referenc in the Great Books, but I could
be wrong.

Just for extra fun, in what ways does the Lord of the Rings lift from
Northern European mythology?  I have heard that it does so quite
extensively.  Does that feel like plagarism, or does it feel like an
appropriate mining of culturally relevant archetypes?

Entirely culturally revelvant.

I am not exactly going to mount an argument in favor of plagarism, but I
will say that there is nothing new under the sun...especially not with 5
billion fairly creative creatures running around on earth at the present time.

Creativity is one thing...Harry vs. Larry Potter is quite another.

james