 Off-Topic / Debate / 25587
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:36:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
To stick with your analogy for a moment, can Michael Jackson, as a former
black person, call a currently black person the "N" word?

You aren't being serious.

What I meant was this: I was once a Christian.  Out of curiosity, in your mind,
does that affect my right to criticize or poke fun at the Bible?

Not that I think this is a very good analogy.  Having dark skin is really
not analagous to subscribing to a religion.

Skin color wasn't the issue; it was a racial issue.

I prefer to speak of these matters in terms of skin color, since I'm not
entirely sure I know what "races" are, and skin color is what most people seem
preoccupied with.

But my criticism of your analogy stands: a religion is a very different thing
than a race.  A race is not a set of beliefs, and one has no option to change
their race.

And whereas a non-black person calling a black person the "N" word is a pure
insult without supporting evidence, The Brick Testament is all evidence
without insult.

You've missed my point.  How about this: a Jewish comedian pokes fun at Rabbi
in a joke.  A Muslim comedian pokes fun at a Rabbi in a joke.  Is not one
perceived as anti-semitism and one not?

Well, now you're not dealing with races but with religions, and I see religions
as more akin to political parties, so let's try this analogy:

A republican can poke fun at another republican, but is it wrong for a
republican to poke fun at a democrat?  Is it wrong for a republican to criticize
the beliefs and practices of a democrat?

I'm not trying to *equate* religions with politics, I'm simply saying that I see
religions as much more easily comparable to political parties than they are to
races.

I appreciate the Christian and Jewish fans of The Brick Testament even if I
do not hold the same religious beliefs as they do.  I am always happy to
give permission to ministers and Sunday school teachers who ask to use my
illustrations in their classes.  I do not consider them "suckers".  I do not
expect that their doing so will make atheists out of their students, nor
would it upset me if it made their students stronger believers in their
religion. I'm just glad they would be getting a chance to see these stories
presented in a frank manner, maybe get a little amusement, and be in a
better position to make up their own minds about whether or not these
stories (and not merely the illustrations) are praiseworthy.

It's interesting that you think that viewing the BT stories would put someone
in a better position to make a judgment on the merit of the story itself (or
even the Bible for that matter).

Sure.  First of all, The Brick Testament brings to light many Bible stories that
are often unknown or ignored.  So certainly a person is in a better position to
judge a story if they see it on The Brick Testament than if they'd never read
any version of it.

And the Brick Testament presents Bible stories in a very frank manner--one that
is not clouded by a concern to make the stories jibe with a much later theology
or just more palatable to our modern sensibilities and moral standards.  So I
think it is often more true-to-the-original than most other retellings.

I would say that someone is in the best position to judge a Bible story after
reading it for themselves firsthand (preferably a few different translations of
it).  I would recommend that to anyone, especially if they suspect my retellings
and illustrations are too skewed.  I would hope that any Bible illustrator would
give that same advice.

-Brendan