 Off-Topic / Debate / 25628
Re: God and worth (was re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   God gives worth. Life without God, if examined honestly, is worthless.

Ha! Well my version would be:

“God gives Christians self-worth. Life without God, if examined theologically, is worthless”

Two very worthy distinctions otherwise lost on many of the most enthusiastic christians.

Well, I happen to find the things Man finds worthful completely worthless. Monetary wealth? Success? Fame? Getting laid? Or happiness? Even happiness for its own sake is empty.

   God doesn’t seem to do much for athiests.

At the very least, focusing on God turns our narcissistic gaze from ourselves.

   And people who can’t find any value in life without the need to resort to a god seem to me to have something of a lack of imagination.

What people find valuable is what doesn’t impress me.

   And and I reject as wholly unsupportable John’s assertion that I have not examined the issue honestly :-)

Fair enough. But the examination goes on, no?

   Richard Still baldly going...

And and and ‘Go Rev!’.

I fled christianity long before I encountered the Brick Testament, and it brings out a small piece of what drove me along.

I’m curious. Did you reject Christianity only, or the whole God thing altogether? This discussion goes past Christianity IMO

JOHN

   Disseminate away!

I like the Bible. I still read bits from time to time. As I read the Qur-an. But it is well to remember that these books were indeed written for a different time, from tales of another time still (John made this point somewhere). It tells me that one needs to evaluate carefully some of the wilder recommendations when they conflict with the basic tenets.

Its important work the Brick Testament does. More please!