 Off-Topic / Debate / 26130
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2004 20:18:41 GMT

snip

   But even if we accept the analogy, there are still some problems to overcome. For example, what kind of loving parent would provide only vague, indirect, and contradictory instructions to his children, especially if those instructions are transmitted not from parent to child but from parent to intermediary to translator to intermediary to child? Any loving parent, in my view, would make sure that the child had access to complete, clear, and accurate information before requiring that child to make any kind of choice about that information.

Thanks again for your input.

Dave!

So I’m trying to get to sleep last night--tossing and turning around, and I find myself thinking about my foot. My foot, at that moment, was ‘peeking out’ from under the sheets and hanging over the edge of the bed.

Now normally I wouldn’t even have noticed this but it was a cool evening and there my foot was, hanging out in the cool air. And I started thinking about the reaction I was having--that I wanted to pull my foot back under the covers, where it’d be safe and warm. But it was the safe bit that got me thinking (at 1 a.m., which is never a good time to have such thoughts.)--I remembered back when I was oh so much younger than I am today--say around 5 or 6 years old, I was acared... well, that may be too harsh a word, but I didn’t appreciate any part of my body being exposed (sans face) when I was in bed for some undefined fear of whatever--call it ‘boogeyman’ or something, but even if my neck was exposed, I had difficulty sleeping, and I made sure that every single part of me was under the blankets, all tucked in all nice-like.

Now I’m all of nearly 40 and I remembered that issue when I was a kid. Yet I don’t remember having been told some ‘scary story’ that would justify the fear felt in a 5 year old--I don’t remember sitting around a campfire or hanging out with friends, hearing some sort of morbid tale that would relate to the childhood fear, yet I do remember the fear and having had the fear back to my earliest recollection.

What I fouund interesting, and this is how mids work at 1 a.m., is that a few weeks back, I had to visit the facilities at work, and I brought a Reader’s Digest for some sort of reading-‘pass the time’ thing. In this particular Reader’s Digest there was an article about how people back in the 17-18 century handled the night--ripping off bark on trees to expose the ‘lighter wood’ underneath so they could follow a trail, and other such kinda nifty stuff. But what my mind remmebered last night, was the one section where some people believed that they had to have all extremeties tucked under the sheets--nothing could hang out over the edge of the bed for fear of ‘something’ that would attack/consume or gain entry into their spiritual selves.

Well that kept me awake a little longer, thinking about how that related to my ideas of my fears at a young age, and grasping that I experienced relatively the same fears when I was four and five as those folks that lived over a century ago.

I once had an inkling of an idea that, in my mind, reincarnation may be a load of horse puckies--but what may be happening is that thoughts and ideas are getting ‘worked into’ the DNA nad being passed to successive generations. Now hear me out--they say that kids today are learning faster and better than previous generations--sure the teaching methods more than likely have improved, but mayhaps the ability to learn gets passed thru DNA from one generation to the next. Maybe, and again, this is not definitive nor do I have anything beyond a beginning of a concept, but maybe one idea that could explain these ‘weird reincarnations/past lives/mythos spanning generations’ is these things are written into our very building blocks of who we are.

So this is a long way of getting to your point--in the Bible it states somewhere that the ‘Laws of God are written on people’s hearts’. It could be that, on a DNA level, ideas and ideals are there that have been there from the beginning. Looking at the society as it is, it appears to be heading in a non-random direction over the course of history--going from chaotic persons to a more organized society.

It’s a direction and it appears to me anyway, that it isn’t a random one--it makes sense. Then again, those living in it would have difficulty thinking it didn’t make sense, but that’s a whole other debate.

Bottom line is perhaps the ‘word of God’ is written on our hearts (DNA, whatever). Most people know when they’re doing something wrong--it’s called ‘conscience’. Where’d that come from? Where does that little voice that says ‘taking that candy bar from that store, even though right now there’s absolutely no way you’d ever get caught, is still wrong!’ I dunno. I sometimes think that the little voice is more than what my parents instilled on me whilst I was growing up.

Oh, and when I eventually did fall asleep, my foot was nicely ensconsed under the covers...

Dave K