 Off-Topic / Debate / 25637
Re: God and worth (was re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:15:55 GMT

   Well, I happen to find the things Man finds worthful completely worthless. Monetary wealth? Success? Fame? Getting laid? Or happiness? Even happiness for its own sake is empty.

Only if you choose to define it that way. I used to work with a Christian who said something like “if emotions are just chemical reactions, aren’t they meaningless?”

Well, sure. Insofar as I attach no truly transcendent, metaphysical “meaning” to those chemical reactions, I guess they are meaningless. But if you take the next logical step and recognize that perceptions of mind, self, and consciousness are themselves chemical reactions, then emotions achieve a level of personal importance on par with the importance of perceived-self, which is about as important as it gets for the individual.

   God doesn’t seem to do much for athiests.

At the very least, focusing on God turns our narcissistic gaze from ourselves.

I disagree. The very notion of a personal god is the ultimate narcissism. The atheist who concludes that the universe is vast and we just happen to be in it is much less self-focused than a theist who flatters himself to have found The One Truth.

   And people who can’t find any value in life without the need to resort to a god seem to me to have something of a lack of imagination.

What people find valuable is what doesn’t impress me.

I suggest that people who identify themselves to have a “god-shaped-hole” in their hearts may indeed feel that they can only fill it with some notion of a god. However, it is, ultimately, narcissistic to conclude that all people must have that same hole.

Dave!