 Off-Topic / Debate / 25740
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:31:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
   So instead of a half empty glass, you see it as completely empty?

Not my original analogy, so I’m restricted to revising it using the terms provided. You were the one who introduced the idea of Zero Worth/Empty Glass.

   To be filled with either holy water or poison. I say you’re wrong. The glass is already half full and the beverage is tasty.

An empty glass cannot, by definition, be full of poison. The point I was trying to make is that proselytizing missionaries are attempting to fill empty glasses with said holy water, rather than trying to destroy them with poison like radical religious terrorists.

   What? I thought we were talking about the value of folks with no god. You left that part out.

As I said, it depends a lot on what perspective you look at it from. If you feel that you need God in your life to have value, you’re more likely to want to elevate others to your same level. If you go around looking down on others as being worthless because they don’t “get it”, then you’re more likely to easily persuaded into persecuting them. However, it has been clearly demonstrated, both on LUGNET, and in historical situations, that many atheists/agnostics feel the same way about a religion-free life, believing that not needing God makes life more worth living, and that what members of organized religions would view as Holy Water is actually Poison.