 Off-Topic / Debate / 25615
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:29:08 GMT

Personally, I feel that if one really wants to understand the Bible (OT for
starters), they need to study Judaism, Ancient History, Literary Criticism,
and Hebrew.  Then the OT will start making sense. Seeing it depicted in LEGO
from some random English translation is hardly an impartial primer to it.

It's not a primer, but it does tell the stories in plain langugage.  And as far
as I can tell, it's just as accurate as the Hebrew version (so the random
english translation bit from your argument can be dropped).

The BT isn't serious, and if it's not serious, then it is a joke.  Of course
it's a joke-- it's the Bible depicted in LEGO, for crying out loud.  It's got
1x1 red tiles of blood flowing everywhere and glow-in-the-dark Holy Ghosts
floating around!  It perverts the Bible and LEGO IMO, and that is why I think
people (non-Christians mostly) find the BT so fascinating. It is something
new and twisted.

So any criticism of the bible is a joke?  I don't think it perverts the bible at
all - it just tells the stories told within.  I think people find it interesting
because it makes many of the stories easier to comprehend.

But to people who embrace the OT as a part of their religion, it isn't a
joking matter.  They base their lives around it, and don't usually appreciate
it when people mock them for it.  It isn't very respectful or civil behavior
towards them.

Aren't people who embrace the OT also people who study it?  Wouldn't they have
to come to terms with all of it, in order to be able to keep their belief?  Or
is it better if some parts are kept hidden, to reduce any possible doubt?

Dan