 Off-Topic / Debate / 25705
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:26:59 GMT

   Jesus summed it up nicely into: “Love God with all of your heart, soul and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.”

That’s all you really need to know and do.

But I think you are being a little disingenuous WRT to worshipping a God.

How so? (And I ask this sincerely!)

Read below.

   If you could describe an ideal God whom to worship, what would He be like? I have an idea what you will say, but I want to hear about the God of Dave!

My spider-sense tells me that this is an attempt to trick me into formulating an ontological argument for God’s existence, but I’ll give it a try anyway.

No, no, not at all. My secret suspicion was that you could never worship any kind of god. I think I was correct by your responses below...

   First of all, I’m not sure that I would worship any being for two reasons:

Any entity who requires my worship isn’t worthy of my worship.

Never said worship was required. Besides, if it is your ideal God, then He wouldn’t require it, no?

   Any entity who’d be bothered by my lack of worship isn’t worthy of my worship.

Again, it’s your ideal God.

   I might really, really admire some entity or other, and I might have tremendous respect for some entity, but worship? I can’t see it, honestly. Maybe I have trouble with the definition, since it’s steeped in a kind of belief that I do not share--could you provide a guideline for what “worship” entails? I mean, during my zany youth I “worshipped” a certain actress who shall remain nameless, but I suspect that you have something else in mind in this context.

Okay, the word “worship” carries a lot of baggage. Besides, it is an artifact from the “God is King” metaphor anyway. Though a power-hungry earthly king might require adulation and homage, I think it is wrong to think that God requires it.

The key response to God IMO is an attitude of gratitude. I am thankful for my life and all of the blesses I have been given, and in response I have decided to live my life the way in which I believe God would want. So worship to me is celebrating God’s mercy and blessings with others in an attitude of thanksgiving.

   You can believe the sky is yellow (or that God doesn’t exist), but as long as you respect others and are a good person, what’s the big, ahem, deal? God is much more interested in how we treat each other WAAAY more than what we believe IMO.

Forgive me, but this strikes me as a major shift in the way you articulate your belief.

Hmmm. Maybe in articulation, but not in belief. One of my favorite books in the OT is Isaiah. Check this out (Chapter 1:11-18)

“What are all your sacrifices to Me?” asks the Lord. “I have had enough of burnt offerings and rams and the fat of well-fed cattle; I have no desire for the blood of bulls, lambs, or male goats. When you come to appear before Me, who requires this from you- this trampling of My courts? Stop bringing useless offerings. I despise your incense. New Moons and Sabbaths, and the calling of solemn assemblies - I cannot stand iniquity with a festival. I hate your New Moons and prescribed festivals. They have become a burden to Me; I am tired of putting up with them. When you lift up your hands in prayer, I will refuse to look at you; even if you offer countless prayers, I will not listen. Your hands are covered with blood.

“Wash yourselves. Cleanse yourselves. Remove your evil deeds from My sight. Stop doing evil. Learn to do what is good. Seek justice. Correct the oppressor. Defend the rights of the fatherless. Plead the widow’s cause. “Come, let us discuss this,” says the Lord. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they will be as white as snow; though they are as red as crimson, they will be like wool.

   I find this formulation more palatable, but I must confess that it surprises me.

I sadly acknowledge the truth in Brennan Manning’s indictment on followers of Christ:

‘The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today...is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. THAT is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.’

It is inevitable that imperfect humans proclaiming the Gospel will fall short of the very message they bear. But I ask you: does this reflect poorly on the message or the messager?

   Well, don’t assume that an atheist will automatically mock the bible. I may not believe that the book was inspired by a deity, but a secure believer should hardly consider a differing viewpoint to be mocking.

Hmmm. Most atheists I know have a pretty condescending attitude towards religion.

Tit for tat. I have seldom---correction: I have never met a self-professed Christian who did not, upon learning that I’m atheist, make some sort of “aww, that’s too bad” declaration, as if I have a mental shortcoming to be pitied.

Don’t you, by the same token, shake your head, if not to yourself, that such people are, put kindly, clueless and generally ignorant?

   I can generally shrug it off, in much the same way that it means nothing to me when people laugh at my utter ignorance of baseball

What??? Do you mean to sit there and tell me that you have no idea who won the World Series in 1987 AND 1991????? :-)

   or golf, but the sentiment is condescending regardless of my thick skin!

   Leviticus is still commonly invoked to condemn homosexuality or excesses of alcohol consumptions. I note with interest once again that condemnations of shellfish consumption are less common, as are entreaties not to touch menstruating women. Hmm...

Look, just because one is a Christian doesn’t mean that they are necessarily clear thinkers. There is great confusion among Christians WRT to understanding the OT in context of the NT.

This, too, seems to represent an evolution in the way you articulate your view, and honestly I welcome it! The problem is that the self-professed Christians who have the power to dictate public policy are very seldom challenged by similarly powerful Christians with opposing views.

Hmmm. I’m not so sure. I have plenty of Christian friends (virtually all of my kollege buddies with whom I still keep in contact) who are very staunch Democrats! Isn’t Kerry a Catholic opposing an evangelical George Bush?

   Almost invariably the default answer is “well, I disagree for the most part, but at least he’s basing his view on the Bible.”

That may be a fundamental logical difference between atheists and theists; no two atheists will ever agree solely because a book instructed them a certain way; the argument must stand on its own without resorting to the deus ex machina of biblical invocation. Of course, this doesn’t judge the underlying intelligence of the atheist or theist--merely a difference in logical approach. I admit, though, that I prefer the atheists’ rhetorical method.

I just find some questions are unadequately addressed by logical and scientific analysis, and unfortunately, they are the BIG QUESTIONS:-/

JOHN