 Off-Topic / Debate / 25632
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:22:45 GMT

"John" <John@TCLTC.org> wrote in message news:I3tB8E.L00@lugnet.com...

Out of curiosity, in your mind,
does that affect my right to criticize or poke fun at the Bible?

Hmmm.  Right?  No.  Yes.  Legally, of course, you have every right to do
what
you are doing and that is only right.  Morally, I'm not so sure.  For a
non-Christian to mock or criticize Christianity, I'd have to question
motives.
The motives for mockery could probably be traced to intolerance and
bigotry.  So
I see no moral reason for a non-Christian to mock the Bible.

So if the motive for criticizing or poking fun at the Bible could *possibly*
be traced to intolerance or bigotry then it is immoral?

It doesn't seem to me that The Brick Testament (TBT) mocks or criticizes
Christianity any more tha the bible itself.  When I read the same passages
from my own bible, they seem no less absurd.

Now, as for criticism, especially in terms of literary, historical, ie
study
tools for a deeper understanding of the Bible in order to strengthen one's
faith, I'd be all for it.  Again, the motivation is the key.  Now, is it
one's
intention to debunk the Bible through these tools?  Then again I would
question
motives.  The Bible is a faith book, and so trying to attack it from a
scientific perspective is a lost cause from the beginning and really
misses the
point.  So what would be the point?

So essentially we're only able to study the bible if we've decided ahead of
time that everything we read will only affirm and strengthen our faith?

I don't think that is healthy.  If you read a collection of documents filled
with contradictions refuse to apply critical thought of any of it, who knows
where it will lead.  It's a veritable sensory deprivation tank of morality.

Now, mocking and criticizing the Bible from a Christian who has rejected
their
faith is even more problematic in my mind.  You have obviously decided for
yourself that Christianity is a load and is no longer a serious matter for
you.
It is now a subject for amusement, derision or even contempt.  Why are you
no
longer a Christian?  Whatever the reason, it isn't a good reflection on
Christianity in my mind.  Christianity is now a lie to you, and so of
course
your perspective of it will be tainted by that, and in a negative way.

In my case, among other reasons, I was locked in a utility closet and
abandoned by fellow Christians.  Since then I've awakened and seen that the
only time most Christans I know are in any way moral is when they are in
church.  I've seen my fellow Christians cheat lie and steal.  I've seen them
road rage other members of my church trying to get out of the parking lot
first.  These people are hipocrates - not the lambs they pretend to be in
God's house.

They dream up excuses and try to justify hatred, bigotry, and murder in the
name of God.  I know people who believe they can do anything they want - and
as long as they believe in Jesus, they will go to heaven.  I see scam artist
preachers preying on the poor and old - stealing their money.  And I see
people allowing themselves to become victims in the name of faith.

I have known a small number of good people who try to follow a riteous moral
path - but these people are small minority in an otherwise cult-like and
authoritarian group bent on imposing the irrational beliefs they don't even
follow themselves on the rest of the nation and the world.

To even decide to depict Biblical stories in LEGO betrays an attitude of
non-seriousness, and couple that with shocking and violent Biblical
stories, and

Good thing it betrays an attitude of non-seriousness.  That makes it
serious.

you have the makings of a perfect, avant garde art piece that isn't so
concerned
about aesthetic beauty as it is jolting the sensibilities of the viewer.
The
more lurid and controversial, the better.  It is the perfect indictment of
our
culture, and your work dovetails right into it.  To non-Christians, it is
farcical and mockery; to Christians (in the know) it is offensive.

I've shown the site to many people.  Nobody has had "jolted sensibilities"
or found it "offensive".  Most think it's funny and go grab a copy of the
bible to see about these passages for themselves (since they were
conveniently glossed-over in Sunday school and formal church services).  The
end result of reading TBT is that people read the bible - the Gideons would
be proud.