 Off-Topic / Debate / 25622
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 03:47:36 GMT

   But to people who embrace the OT as a part of their religion, it isn’t a joking matter. They base their lives around it, and don’t usually appreciate it when people mock them for it. It isn’t very respectful or civil behavior towards them.

Kinda like the cartoon that ‘Fundie’ Christians love to trot out in their newsletters--guy at funeral--‘Poor old athiest Joe, all dressed up with nowhere to go’

Beyond that, when people take their own belief system so seriously, to the detriment of other people’s ideas about what’s right and wrong (Robertson, Limbaugh, etc.), then I’m sorry--they’re the ones responsible for the ‘poking fun at’.

Is this the secular version of “an eye for an eye”?

   As soon as Christians

All Christians?

   start understanding that not everyone has to march to the same drummer, and start accepting others, who in no way interfere in other people’s lifestyles, for who they are.

Any specific examples in mind? (he asked knowingly)

   I’m sorry but I’m a big believer in some sort of ‘prime directive’ where other people’s lifestyle choices are concerned--what doesn’t impact on me doesn’t concern me.

Okay, someone from Vietnam comes to live in the US and continues to fry up cats and dogs for meals. Any problem with that? (assuming that your pet isn’t a part of the soup d’jour)

   Moreover, Christians who like to ‘talk down’ to non-Christians, like ‘those that don’t believe that JC is the path to salvation are going to hell’ is the epitome of arrogant presumption.

Why is it more presumptuous to believe that than to believe that there is no God and every Christian is a pathetic dupe?

   John 3:16 is fine for the Christian, not so much for the Buddhist or even the orthodox Jew.

Anyway, not sure if any of this made any sense, but my Christianity is akin to the anabaptists (iirc)--the house on the hill--set the example with all aspects of your life and with everything you do, but don’t try to drag others ‘kicking and screaming’ into your fold.

Uh, well, Dave, don’t know if you missed the memo on that or not, but that type of evangelism went out of vogue with the end of the Inquisition:-)

   If people like what they see, they’ll see your foundation. If they don’t like it, life goes on.

God gives worth. Life without God, if examined honestly, is worthless.

JOHN