 Off-Topic / Debate / 25581
Re: The Brick Testament: A Family Stoned and a City Massacred
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 07:45:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Ah, well, I should’ve kept my fingers shut because I don’t have the time or inclination to “go there” (again) WRT to this topic, but here is an analogy to consider: why can a black person call another black person the “N” word (if even with affection) but a white person cannot?

To stick with your analogy for a moment, can Michael Jackson, as a former black person, call a currently black person the “N” word?

You aren’t being serious.

   Not that I think this is a very good analogy. Having dark skin is really not analagous to subscribing to a religion.

Skin color wasn’t the issue; it was a racial issue.

   And whereas a non-black person calling a black person the “N” word is a pure insult without supporting evidence, The Brick Testament is all evidence without insult.

You’ve missed my point. How about this: a Jewish comedian pokes fun at Rabbi in a joke. A Muslim comedian pokes fun at a Rabbi in a joke. Is not one perceived as anti-semitism and one not?

   It must be very amusing to you to have Christians praise the stories in the BT. Suckers! ;-)

If a person holds a particular story from the Bible as praiseworthy, why wouldn’t they also praise my quoted-directly-from-scripture retelling of the same story (so long as the illustrations are also praiseworthy from an aesthetic standpoint)? Why is such a person a “sucker”?

Because I think that they would assume that the stories in question were created in by someone who revered the stories that they depicted.

   I appreciate the Christian and Jewish fans of The Brick Testament even if I do not hold the same religious beliefs as they do. I am always happy to give permission to ministers and Sunday school teachers who ask to use my illustrations in their classes. I do not consider them “suckers”. I do not expect that their doing so will make atheists out of their students, nor would it upset me if it made their students stronger believers in their religion. I’m just glad they would be getting a chance to see these stories presented in a frank manner, maybe get a little amusement, and be in a better position to make up their own minds about whether or not these stories (and not merely the illustrations) are praiseworthy.

It’s interesting that you think that viewing the BT stories would put someone in a better position to make a judgment on the merit of the story itself (or even the Bible for that matter).

   John, I’ll understand if you do not want this to develop into another big ol’ time-consuming debate. We can agree to disagree at any point.

I appreciate that, Brendan.

JOHN