 Off-Topic / Debate / 25739
Re: Worthlessness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:15:18 GMT

   I also learned something else interesting. You think the Samaritan was a woman... the King James version of the NT has the Samaritan as a man. I wonder if there’s a message in there somewhere, or if that’s just one of those translation idiosyncracies between versions that people always stumble over.

As far as I can tell, the Samaritan is conventionally credited as a man, but the earliest version I can remember hearing as a wee tot in Sunday School (yes, with feltboard images and everything) was a woman (which is probably why I always think of the Samaritan as female). It’s more believable as a man (single woman wandering the roads with tons of cash on hand in that era? Not likely), but it makes for a more powerful statement as a woman (since even Hebrew women were considered to be inferior to male Gentiles, at least in part due to the blood taboo laws that dealt with “that time of month”). Being a female Gentile in ancient Israel/Judea was about as socially helpful as having the word “Loser” tatooed on your forehead.