 Off-Topic / Debate / 25661
Re: Microsoft and IBM in secret plot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:29:41 GMT

Note that midway through the article it has a very nice animated gif:

http://opinionjournal.com/best/cya.gif

which shows that at least one of these COULD have been produced with MSWord...
note that "COULD have" does not equal "was proven to have been"...

That's worth remembering.  I can produce a real-looking pre-1985 dollar bill in
Photoshop, but that hardly proves that the next 1984 dollar bill you receive
came off of my desktop.  After all, the Shroud of Turin can be reproduced with
relative ease, yet people flock by the thousands to see the "real" relic.

Without the original document, or even a non-converted-to-PDF-version of the
original document, then all of these objections are just speculation.  The best
summary I've heard goes something like this:

If the alleged forger would go to all of the trouble of getting the signature
correct enough to pass muster (as, I understand, it has), then it would be
pretty lame if he cheneyed himself with a ham-fisted font mistake like that.

As I said/alluded in my original post, I suspect these were forged but really
don't think that's the point. I won't cry if this takes CBS down though.

The greater tragedy, in terms of responsible journalism, is that the Swift Boat
Veterans were given uncontested airtime by every media outlet for over two weeks
straight, often enjoying headline after headline no matter how many times their
inconsistent claims were thoroughly refuted.  But now that someone has
challenged Dubya, we got about six hours of quiet murmurs from the media,
followed by nonstop coverage of the "it's a forgery" claim.  If the media had
been as dilligent in examining the SBV's claims, then that story would likewise
have appropriately vanished after a few hours.

And it certainly won't take CBS down, even if CBS broadcasts a fictitious
anti-Bush expose as fact.  Fox News has recently litigated to protect what it
asserts as its "right" to lie with impunity in its news stories, so CBS should
benefit from this "right" as well.

Dave!