 Off-Topic / Debate / 25727
Re: Worthlessness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:13:06 GMT

   I don’t go “I’m contributing to this charity *because* I’m a Christian!”

You should, or else Dave! is correct.

   or “I’m helping this little old lady across the street *because* of my Christian values!”

You should, or else Dave! is correct.

   Much like, I suppose, you don’t go around saying, “Look at all the good works I’m doing and I’m doing it without the burden of that Christianity stuff...”

Not at all the same. I still don’t have a satisfactory answer from atheists to the question “why do good?” (from a personal standpoint rather than some overall societal efficiency explanation)

   We try to contribute to the betterness of the world around us. I don’t ‘invoke God’ when I do it, nor I would imagine, you don’t invoke ‘non-God’ when you do it.

It just ‘is the right thing to do.’

That is an Absolute Morality-type argument, which involves God...

   Some Christians would say your choices to support your fellow person are ‘Gods laws written on your heart’ even if you don’t believe in Him. Eh, whatever...

Again, if that were the case, what is the point of believing in Him?

JOHN