 Off-Topic / Debate / 25755
Re: Worthlessness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:51:33 GMT

   Not at all the same. I still don’t have a satisfactory answer from atheists to the question “why do good?” (from a personal standpoint rather than some overall societal efficiency explanation)

Here’s an answer for you: I “do good,” as you put it, because I have spent time thinking about life, the universe, and my role in it and have decided based on my own observations that mean people suck. I don’t believe in any god, but I do believe in personal responsibility. I do not want to be the kind of person I dislike, and it is my choice as to what kind of person I can be.

I wonder what is meant by “good” here in the first place. What are we talking about? Giving to charity? Volunteering at your local homeless shelter or library? Probably we all have different ideas of what is meant by “doing good.”

Pamela