 Off-Topic / Debate / 25710
Re: Worthlessness
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:48:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:

   While you’re at it, ask yourself some questions. Were samaritans unbelievers? Beats me. Were their lives worthless? If so, does that imply the parable is worthless, since without that worthless samaritan the parable would be significantly shorter, and not nearly as interesting.

Without trying to dilute your point, which I find quite valid, I have to say that your question piqued my curiousity. So, for what it’s worth.

A quick search via Google got me this page:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/samaritan.htm

where it is claimed that the Samaritans adopted old testament beliefs in the first century BC. Depending on how far back the parable went, perhaps they were and perhaps they were not jewish. But in any case they were almost certainly not christian at the time that Jesus told the parable.