 Off-Topic / Debate / 25766
25765  |  25767
Subject:
Why be 'good' without god (was Re: Worthlessness)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:22:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pamela Hale wrote:

   Not at all the same. I still don’t have a satisfactory answer from atheists to the question “why do good?” (from a personal standpoint rather than some overall societal efficiency explanation)

Here’s an answer for you: I “do good,” as you put it, because I have spent time thinking about life, the universe, and my role in it and have decided based on my own observations that mean people suck. I don’t believe in any god, but I do believe in personal responsibility. I do not want to be the kind of person I dislike, and it is my choice as to what kind of person I can be.

Damn straight. I like this. It more or less reflects me too. Based on my own meagre experience of life, I have found that there are some people I like and others I do not, some actions I like and others I do not, and some things I like to be and others I do not. I have a pretty clear picture of who I have chosen to be, and try surprisingly hard to be that person.

I would note that to me the things I do are not ‘good’ things, although the general consensus is that most of the stuff I do falls under that heading. For me, its not ‘good’ things, but things ‘I have found I enjoy doing’. A small proportion of the stuff I do does not fall under the generally established consensus as to ‘good’, and I am fine with that.

   I wonder what is meant by “good” here in the first place. What are we talking about? Giving to charity? Volunteering at your local homeless shelter or library? Probably we all have different ideas of what is meant by “doing good.”

Based on some of our discussions here there are some wildly different conceptions of what constitutes doing good.

Interestingly, in my experience, where there are the widest and most unhelpful distinctions between different people’s perceptions of what’s good and what’s not, it almost always involves unshakeable (often but not always religious) faith on someone’s part.

Its one of the reasons I’m not fond of ‘good’ per se, or religion for that matter.

It occurs to me that organised religions, like corporations, are by their nature (and in most cases in their actuality), generally very beneficial for the top management, more or less ok for believers, and bad for non-believers. My personal test for worthy organised religions (like corporations) is that they are good for believers and top managememt according to their contributions, and not bad for non-believers.

What, no measure of ‘truth’?

Nope ;-)

If you want a religion based on truth, ask the first believer you can lay your hands on. THEIR religion is the true religion.

To them.

Richard
Still baldly going...