 Off-Topic / Debate / 25647
25646  |  25648
Subject:
Microsoft and IBM in secret plot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:10:55 GMT

Well that's a crazy headline isn't it... but no crazier than some in the regular
media

I'm surprised to see no mention yet here of "rathergate" as it is being called
in the blogosphere. Were the memos about Bush's service that CBS 60 minutes ran
a story on forged or real?

http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/ presents some of the awfully convincing case
for them being done in Microsoft Word, not on an IBM Selectric.

I sort of don't care, though. I agree with Virgina Postrel and her friend

http://www.dynamist.com/weblog/archives/001344.html

Focusing on these memos isn't the real point. Whether Bush did or didn't dodge
his service then is closer to the real point but not much. The real point is, is
he fit to serve NOW?

I say no.

But I also say CBS has blown it again. Media bias or media incompetence? You
decide. (I bet if this were the other way round, it would be FOX that might well
have went out and forged stuff to prove a point)

Worse, though... maybe Kerry isn't going to win, and we're going to be stuck
with W for a 2nd (1) term.

This op ed piece from rtlToronto's favorite paper makes the case he's blowing
it, badly:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1095027009493&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724

1 - unsuperscripted, sorry!