 Off-Topic / Debate / 25679
Re: Microsoft and IBM in secret plot?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:01:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
I'm surprised to see no mention yet here of "rathergate" as it is being
called in the blogosphere. Were the memos about Bush's service that
CBS 60 minutes ran a story on forged or real?

They're clearly forgeries, but the fun part now is developing the
best conspiracy theory.  I don't think your MS-IBM conspiracy is
gonna work, but there are plenty of other whoppers to choose from.
They have some nifty samples here.

  http://shotsacrossthebow.com/archives/002084.html#002084

Enjoy,

Don

I remember my friend who had an IBM Selectric in 1974 or 75.  He did
proportional typing and superscripting.  Alas, I no longer have any examples of
his messages, but I remember the superscripting looked different - I don't know
if that was because it had a specific "th" key for it rather than doing a half
roll on the plateen, or if he switched the ball element out (which you can do
and get a completely different typeface).

It should be easy to tell if the originals of the memos exist - anyone should be
able to spot the difference between a standard typewriter ribbon and a computer
printout.  Even if film ribbons were available in '73 they should be able to
analyze that without too much difficulty, even if it is less obvious to the
naked eye.  If he didn't have a Selectric it would seem extremely doubtful the
message is real.  If he did have one that still doesn't mean he actually did
them.  Have they produced the originals yet?  Without those I gotta look at the
authenticity of the messages from a sceptical standpoint.

And Bush?  Well, there isn't much doubt that he couldn't even be bothered to
fulfill his obligations while dodging the war Kerry was fighting in, regardless
of the authenticity of the message in question.

-->Bruce<--