 Off-Topic / Debate / 25627
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:24:33 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   To date, no huge mass graves have been found, so we’re left with the uncomfortable problem of explaining where the 1.5 million bodies went.

There haven’t? This was in all the papers, news, etc. shortly after major combat was allegedly ‘ended’.

Do you mean these?

   No one is saying that Saddam was a great guy. The problem, as has been stated several times before, is that Dubya justified his invasion based on information that has turned out to be false and in some cases distorted.

But at the same time even Bill Clinton when president stated that sooner or later the U.S. would have to deal with Sadam and his WOMD.

Clinton still says this, but it still doesn’t make a difference re: Dubya’s choice to invade when he did and for the reasons that he gave.

The point is that Dubya did not invent the intelligence and mislead us into war. Everyone was mislead including Dubya.

   Even John Kerry stated this shortly after the World Trade Center attacks.

Did Kerry make that statement? I don’t deny it, though I haven’t seen it. If you have a cite, I’d be interested to read it. For that matter, we have to consider the context and how that view has been borne out; did Kerry revise his view upon gaining additional information? If not, did he endorse unilateral action in defiance of the UN and the majority of the world?

Well the last pro-Kerry Ad I heard on the radio says that John Kerry stands by his descision to vote for military action but that he would have done things very different in Iraq. Bush has done this wrong and that wrong, etc.

   While I still think it will take decades to dig up enough of Iraq to prove one way or the other this was not just Dubya but everyone was ‘fooled’.

Sadly, that won’t be good enough. Dubya made his case based on information that he claimed to know for certain, regarding the imminent threat to the US. If we happen to find a tanker of Sarin 20 years down the line, then that will do nothing to validate Dubya’s claims retroactively.

Why not? After all we did give Saddam a four month head start while we were wasting time becoming the first nation in history to actually ask the U.N. permission before engaging in military action. About a year or two ago you posted a story about a U.S. base that lost track of an atomic warhead for 20 or 30 some odd years and only found it when they were digging a foundation for a new building. If that can happen in the U.S. by accident I would be extremely surprised if it didn’t happen in Iraq on purpose. After all we know he had WOMD as the U.S. gave them to him to fight soviet backed Iran durring the cold war. If he did actually destroy them why didn’t he proudly televise it?

-Mike Petrucelli