 Off-Topic / Debate / 25577
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 05:13:40 GMT

   Did FDR initiate an unprovoked attack upon a sovereign nation?

Did the Nazis ever attack US soil?

Unless you mean Prescott Bush begetting George HW Bush begetting George W Bush, then I don’t think that Nazis did attack US soil. However, they invaded and attacked numerous allies of the US, did they not? Did Iraq likewise engage in invasion or attack against the US or its allies? Remember, of course, the shots fired in the “no-fly” zones don’t count.

   which itself came on the heels of imperialist efforts to usurp the natural resources of the US?

Can’t parse. “For” the US perhaps?

Awkward phrasing, but I really did mean “of” instead of “for.” Try it this way: “Did FDR attack a sovereign nation because that nation (and its allies) imposed decades of imperialist intercession in the US, including the usurpation (by that sovereign nation and its allies) of the the natural resources of the US?”

OBL is a religious fanatic, not a political one. He doesn’t even represent a sovereign nation.

   --the justification for FDR’s actions differed mightily from OBL’s.

Of course! There was no justification for OBL’s action!

I agree that the attack against civilians was unjustified, and strong military response was justified (though the routing of the Taliban was fleeting, at best.)

But please don’t tell me that you think OBL attacked the WTC just because he “hates our Freedom” or “despises our Western values.” Surely you’re aware that the reasons for the attack were far more complex and deep-seated than the simple black/white that Dubya likes to put forth.

That is exactly what I will tell you. I know that “far more complex” reasons sounds appealing, but honestly, what are they??? He doesn’t even give a list of demands. “We have a military presence in SA”. BFD! We are friggin’ allies with SA! The guy is a looney! There is nothing we can do short of converting to his brand of Islam that will stop his efforts to attack us. Nothing.

   GWB’s choice to invade and bomb a sovereign nation that hadn’t attacked the US or its allies more closely resembles OBL’s choice to bomb the WTC than it resembles FDR’s decision to enter WWII.

How outrageous! Bush’s intervention in Iraq was all about deposing SH’s cruel and dangerous regime-- nothing more!

According to which speech du jour? The justification for deposing Saddam’s regime was because he posed an “imminent threat” to the US and because we knew for certain that he had WMD. Both of these are false, or at the very lease hopelessly incorrect.

Do you feel that the Dubya administration should face no accountability for its ineptitude?

I honestly believe that, given more time, SH would have assisted terrorists to unleash a WMD on US soil. He needed to be deposed. The UN is paper tiger and he knew it. He would always have been a threat and was a menace to the world. The world is a safer place without the threat of what he might have perpetrated on us or anyone else for that matter.

   Why are we still meeting resistance in Iraq?

Because we’ve killed thousands of civilians and because we’re perceived as an occupying, anti-Islamic military force.

You couldn’t be more wrong. That is not the perception of the overwhelming majority of Iraqis about our presence there. You have been deceived by biased and unconscionable media reports.

   All we want to do is help the Iraqis set up a government that insures freedom for her people and leave! What is wrong with that????

If that were truly the goal, then I would be more favorably disposed to it. The goal is actually to establish a strong US military presence in the region and to secure oil reserves for US interests. In the unlikiely event that the Iraqis actually gain freedom as well, then so much the better. But their “freedom” is hardly the reason that the US invaded, and it’s hardly the reason that the US is still there.

Well I strongly disagree. We are only establishing a strong military presence there until Iraq can do that herself. Then we won’t be needed. Do you disagree that we’d leave tomorrow if a free Iraq had the ability to defend herself against insurgents? Further, we are securing the oil reserves to protect them so that we can eventually purchase it (not steal it).

   We attacked to remove SH’s regime-- that regime is history! So why is there still fighting? Because of Islamic Fascists who don’t want Freedom! They want pukes like SH in power around the world who are sympathetic to their cause who will assist them in their fight against the West.

If we finally succeed in forcing the Iraqi citizens to accept the US brand of freedom, and if the Iraqis freely choose to install a brutal, fundamentalist dictator who hates the West, will we honor their choice?

First, it mostly certainly won’t be our “brand of freedom”. They will create their own. Your second point is moot, because it is patently ridiculous and borderline racist.

   Bush is brilliant

I’m sorry, there’s a smudge on my monitor. It looked like you typed “Bush is brilliant” there for a second.

   Why must we wait for a nuclear bomb to be denotated on our soil before everyone gets the message??? The only way to stop these wackjobs is for all nations to unite to purge them from their respective soils.

Kill them all; God will recognize his own”, right? If this is truly your attitude, then you are as much a dangerous, fundamentalist wackjob as the despots you decry.

   Then we can go about the business of hunting them down one by one and exterminating them like the vermin they are.

Chris raised a great point: if we can only secure your vision of security by exterminating all Muslims, do you advocate this course?

We are not on the same page here. When I stated “these wackjobs”, I was referring to Islamo-facist who advocate and perpetrate terrorism. Yes, people who deliberately kill innocent women and children (for whatever reason, frankly) deserve to die. I was never referring to “all Muslims”. Actually, the ideal solution would be for Muslims to clean their own house.

JOHN