 Off-Topic / Debate / 25610
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 16:54:26 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   Now that George W. Bush has killed his 1,000th US citizen in Iraq, does that make him approximately 33% as bad as Osama bin Laden, who killed about 3,000 people in the WTC? Oh, wait--Bush has killed thousands more than that, when you factor in all of the Iraqis he’s killed for the sake of their liberty.

So what about the 1-2 hundred thousand Saddam was not able to kill as political prisoners? (the longer we go the higher that number gets) It is estimated he killed 1.5 million between the two Gulf wars.

A couple of points:

To date, no huge mass graves have been found, so we’re left with the uncomfortable problem of explaining where the 1.5 million bodies went.

There haven’t? This was in all the papers, news, etc. shortly after major combat was allegedly ‘ended’.

   And I’m not looking for Pol Pot’s “show me the bodies, or else there was no murder,” either. Granted, a number of smaller mass graves (containing a few hundred bodies) have been unearthed, so obviously some form of largescale killing was in practice, but at least one of these mass graves has been shown to pre-date the first Gulf War. Tragic, yes, but these deaths must be addressed separately from any that occurred post Gulf War I. That’s not to dismiss any of the more recent deaths--they’re still monstrous and need to be addressed, but it’s absolutely vital not to undermine the argument by inadvertantly exaggerating the numbers.

No one is saying that Saddam was a great guy. The problem, as has been stated several times before, is that Dubya justified his invasion based on information that has turned out to be false and in some cases distorted.

But at the same time even Bill Clinton when president stated that sooner or later the U.S. would have to deal with Sadam and his WOMD. Even John Kerry stated this shortly after the World Trade Center attacks. While I still think it will take decades to dig up enough of Iraq to prove one way or the other this was not just Dubya but everyone was ‘fooled’.

   If Saddam’s brutality were sufficient reason to depose him, then that’s how an honest case for war should have been made. The fact that deposing Saddam may have been the right thing to do does not justify the deceitful methods that Dubya used to get the US to invade Iraq.

   Of course I also believe a dictatorship is not a soveriegn nation.

That’s interesting. I hadn’t thought of it like that before. Do you suppose it’s possible for a dictatorship to be a sovereign nation, even hypothetically? I don’t know for certain, but I’m reluctant to declare outright that dictatorships are automatically non-sovereign, because that would justify all kinds of incursions into such a nation.

Show me a benevolent dictatorship and I’ll show you a soveriegn nation. And for the record I beleive true peace has never existed and will never exist untill all the people of the world live in freedom.

   And does this have anything to do with why Bush all but refuses even to mention bin Laden’s name in the past half-dozen or so months?

Well as far as I am concerned the whole situation in the Middle East is a result of stupid cold-war era descisions and is therefore our responsibilty to correct. However it seems to me neither party has any interest in doing that.

I think it pre-dates the Cold War, but I agree that the Middle East quagmire has resulted from many decades of bad Western policies.

Ok, then.

-Mike Petrucelli