 Off-Topic / Debate / 25611
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:04:59 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Well, Bruce, it took many men many months and many million $$$ to gather that information-- how unfair to expect a new administration to be on top of that. Why wasn’t that information assembled by Clinton? I think it is more than fair to hold the officeholder for the previous 8 years a little more accountable than Bush!

Not particularly unfair at all. Bush had enough to go on. And Clinton, for the umpteenth time, is not running for re-election. Quit using him as the universal excuse.

I’m usually wrong about how to reason with John, so maybe I should just shut up. But would it make things easier if those of us who think that Bush was seriously negligent in his handling of the intelligence regarding the 9/11 attack admitted that Clinton was also? I mean, of course he was! And at least some of us have been saying so for years. But that doesn’t change the fact that Bush sat on his hands for eight months.

John said “Bush is brilliant” and that is what I am arguing about. Not “Clinton is an idiot”. John is playing a game: Bush is not responsible for anything that has gone wrong, it’s all Somebody Else’s Fault. Essentially, he’s trying to drag the conversation about Bush off target. You fell for it.

   John’s making it out like eight months isn’t enough time, but frankly, there was no single more important thing that he should have been attending to. Nothing. I’d grant any president a month to find his feet. If it had happened during his first month, I’d side with John. But eight months later? He dropped the ball. And lots of people died.

If it happened in the first month I wouldn’t be making an issue of it. It didn’t.

And he reacted. And he’s been reacting ever since. The only proactive stuff he seems to have done has been bad.

My point exactly. How is Bush brilliant? Did he stop the World Trade Center attack? No. John cries that he wasn’t responsible. Okay, let’s accept that for the sake of the argument: how does that qualify Bush as “brilliant”? Point of fact, it doesn’t. He attacked Afghanistan, where Al Qaeda was based with the support of the Afghan government. One can argue necessary, but hardly brilliant. Did he get Osama bin Laden? No. Since that was the primary goal, certainly it was less than brilliant. Did he commit the resources necessary to get Osama? Since we don’t have him, the answer is self-evident. Did we have more resources to commit? Yes. What did we do with them? Attack Iraq. Why? To stop Saddam’s cache of WoMD from being used in one way or another. Did he actually have any? No. Again, John can argue that it was the right thing to do based on faulty intelligence that somehow Bush isn’t responsible for maintaining, but does it in any way qualify as “brilliant”? No, it was a mistake.

-->Bruce<--