 Off-Topic / Debate / 25613
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:11:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   Of course I also believe a dictatorship is not a soveriegn nation.

That’s interesting. I hadn’t thought of it like that before. Do you suppose it’s possible for a dictatorship to be a sovereign nation, even hypothetically? I don’t know for certain, but I’m reluctant to declare outright that dictatorships are automatically non-sovereign, because that would justify all kinds of incursions into such a nation.

Show me a benevolent dictatorship and I’ll show you a soveriegn nation. And for the record I beleive true peace has never existed and will never exist untill all the people of the world live in freedom.

True peace will never exist as long as some people have things that other people want and have no way to obtain. I doubt very much that our species will ever solve this problem. On the bright side, I expect we’ll use technology to outgrow our species in the fairly near future.

Out of curiosity, and this is directed to anyone with an opinion. What’s so special about the notion of sovereignty? I mean, it seems pretty clear to me that, like citizenship, it’s just a notion that was cooked up by folks who wanted to control other folks and duped the rest of us into respecting. What am I missing?

Chris