 Off-Topic / Debate / 25591
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:11:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:

   What? You think you’ve trapped me with your idiotic scenario??? LOL

I don’t think it’s possible to trap you. I’m not even sure I know what you mean.

Well, you made such a big deal (not to be confused with another type of Big Deal;-) that I was dodging, I thought you actually thought that I was dodging the question.

   the existence of Islam will continue to spawn out groups hostile to our security.

It’s already true.

Seriously?

If nothing changes, sure. Generations of Palestinians have grown up and have been taught to hate and murder innocent Israelis. Slightly different angle of hatred, but it shows in living color how it can occur.

   I am asking how high the death toll can go before you think that maybe the solution is worse than the problem.

your little hypothetical is stupid.

I appreciate the compliment.

It wasn’t a compliment. I think your problem was equating “murder” with “killing”.

   I want to know if John believes that the elimination of Islam, if that were required, would be justified.

Okay, Chris, here’s your answer: UNEQUIVOCABLY NO, NEVER, NOT IN A MILLION YEARS, N-O SPELLS “NO”, NO

OK, now here’s what I don’t get. Before you said it was beneath you to answer. What gives?

What gives is that you totally missed my point why I didn’t answer-- because I felt the answer was so plainly obvious that it didn’t need an answer. Apparently I was wrong, so I answered. And I answered that way because I feel that strongly about my response. It was a ridiculous question in my mind.

   John, please don’t respond to this part...I fear dilution of the point.

Oops. Sorry.

Somehow I doubt it.

FWIW, I had already typed by the time I reached your request. No sarcasm intended.

   Given my hypothetical, I absolutely think that the murder of millions and millions of innocents is worth our security.

Killing yes. Murder no.

Ah, so if I’d just changed the word murder to killing, you could get behind it. And this brings us to another thing I don’t get. I think you said yes and no to the same question in different places. Maybe I’m too “idotic” to figure out the wisdom of John. Or maybe it’s something else. But either way, I’m confused.

Simply put. You can’t put a number on the total deaths that will be required to end this conflict. It’s meaningless. It will take whatever it takes. There is no magical point where the struggle no longer becomes worthwhile. The price of Freedom is eternal vigilance.

   If we hadn’t acted in Afganistan and in Iraq, do you think that OBL would have waited 3+ years to attack us again? I believe he hasn’t because he can’t, not for lack of wanting.

I agree with your “I believe” part, but I don’t see what it has to do with Iraq. Much of what we did in Afganistan seems to have been proper.

We are fighting the terrorists in Iraq, not in the US, and with our military, not our civilians. Get it?

   Our military is doing its job-- defending you and me and our way of life.

Funny, I don’t feel any more safe.

I thought they

“they”? “Us”?

   were projecting our economic might

“economic might”?

   into a region that expressly doesn’t want our influence

So you are saying that the Middle East doesn’t want us to buy their oil?

   and had the wherewithal to resist our temptations. That is something we simply cannot abide.

Dude, I can’t parse any of what you just wrote.

JOHN