 Off-Topic / Debate / 25588
Re: Help me with the math
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 14:41:43 GMT

   Do you feel that the Dubya administration should face no accountability for its ineptitude?

   I honestly believe that, given more time, SH would have assisted terrorists to unleash a WMD on US soil.

That’s nice, but I notice that you didn’t answer my question. Should anyone in the Dubya adminstration be held accountable for inciting a war based on false and/or culpably erroneous information?

And in any case, your honest belief is irrelevant, as is Dubya’s. “Belief” simply isn’t sufficient justification to murder 1,000 soldiers and ~12,000 Iraqis. Let’s say that I honestly believe that the guy in the cube across from me will kill me tomorrow unless I kill him today--am I therefore justified in murdering him pre-emptively?

   Why are we still meeting resistance in Iraq?

Because we’ve killed thousands of civilians and because we’re perceived as an occupying, anti-Islamic military force.

   You couldn’t be more wrong. That is not the perception of the overwhelming majority of Iraqis about our presence there. You have been deceived by biased and unconscionable media reports.

Are you kidding? You yourself asked why the US military is meeting resistance, and I answered that the resistance is in response to the thousands of murders that the US military has committed. What reason do you propose as an alternative? Do the fighters in Iraq strike against US targets because those fighters hate my freedom?

And anyway, most polls I’ve read show that an overwhelming majority of Iraqis consider the US military to be an unwelcome occupying force, and a similar majority flatly disapproves of the US presence there. I’ll provide a citation once you have provided yours.

   In the unlikiely event that the Iraqis actually gain freedom as well, then so much the better. But their “freedom” is hardly the reason that the US invaded, and it’s hardly the reason that the US is still there.

   Well I strongly disagree. We are only establishing a strong military presence there until Iraq can do that herself. Then we won’t be needed. Do you disagree that we’d leave tomorrow if a free Iraq had the ability to defend herself against insurgents?

Absolutely I disagree. The US is in the process of building the largest US embassy in the world in Iraq. Do you suggest that the US will abandon this huge embassy once the insurgents have been quelled?

   We attacked to remove SH’s regime-- that regime is history! So why is there still fighting? Because of Islamic Fascists who don’t want Freedom! They want pukes like SH in power around the world who are sympathetic to their cause who will assist them in their fight against the West.

If we finally succeed in forcing the Iraqi citizens to accept the US brand of freedom, and if the Iraqis freely choose to install a brutal, fundamentalist dictator who hates the West, will we honor their choice?

   First, it mostly certainly won’t be our “brand of freedom”. They will create their own. Your second point is moot, because it is patently ridiculous and borderline racist.

I’m calling you out--explain to me exactly why the second point is moot, how it is ridiculous, and why it is racist. If you will not do this, I must require you to withdraw this objection.

Dave!