 Off-Topic / Debate / 25626
25625  |  25627
Subject:
Bush's defeat would be good for the GOP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:38:22 GMT

I'm not a Republican. I'm not a Democrat. I find both major candidates bad
choices. I plan to vote for Bandarek unless it is looking really close in
Michigan, in which case I will hold my nose and vote for Kerry. (1)

But here is a viewpoint from a member of the GOP that I found quite
interesting...

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110005540

I found the parallels with Eisenhower particularly interesting. Arguably the
world might have been vastly different if he had not installed the Shah (2), not
installed a dictator in Guatamala, (3) but instead stood up for Hungary at the
key time.

1 - and I am terrifically unhappy about that, mind you... this month's Reason
had a great capper on their top ten list of reasons to hate Bush... that he was
and is *so* bad that many Libertarians feel compelled to vote for a statist
blowhard like Kerry.

2 - perhaps a major contributing factor to our present troubles with Iran, who
seems determined to go nuke as soon as they can.

3 - a minor intervention with little benefit, really. What were they thinking?