 Off-Topic / Debate / 21778
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:50:32 GMT

Mandatory life sentences create very dangerous, panicked offenders.

If you were DUI and killed someone, and you KNEW that you were guaranteed a life
sentence, what exactly do you lose in trying to run, possibly killing more people
(think a DUI hitting a pedestrian, which happens a lot - the car is usually quite
drivable afterwards)?

I could see a mandatory 10-20 year sentence for a death, allowing up to life, but a
mandatory life?  Uh-uh.

John wrote:

But again, if someone else loves those varied sensations it's not my
business.

Fine.  I can agree with you.  But until you address the problem of:

1. What happens to a person who becomes a homeless junkie,
2. What happens to a person when they kill someone while driving "high"?

I would suggest that we begin jailing drunk drivers 1 year MANDATORY with NO
chance of parole, and MANDATORY LIFE sentences for drunk drivers who kill.  If
that has a "sobering" effect on alcohol use then I might consider us ready to
legalize the other stuff (with the same penalties in effect).

[JOHN]

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/