 Off-Topic / Debate / 21745
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 03:38:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   Sure, crime isn’t the criminal’s fault, it’s society’s!

It is obvious you have never seen people beaten down by their socio-economic cicumstances as I have. Come to West Oakland, CA and see the situation and tell me that people are absolutely choosing their lifestyles. Now who is being naive?

As an aside I guess I could also ask you what is so bloody Xtian about you when it is I defending the more Xtian approach to the problem of the poor? What is better: to believe, or to actually act?

You defend the more Christian approach? You make me laugh. Your idea is to have the government try and solve the problem, wasting billions of $$$ on beaucracy. How many trillions of dollars have we spent in the past 40 years on welfare programs, and to what effect? Are we any closer to wiping out poverty? One would think so. But in fact the overall effect is nil. Why is that, Richard? I would really like to hear an answer.

Defend the more Christian approach? I guess you think that being forced to pay taxes to “help” someone is laudable? It’s theft AND a waste, certainly not “Christian”.

As an aside I could tell you that I and my family have participated in many Christian mission trips to serve and assist the needy of our country. That’s on our own time, our own money, not on yours. I believe it is the responsibility of the people themselves to care for each other, not leaving it up their wasteful, bureaucratic, bloated government. But I guess if you are an atheist the government is all you have. Funny, for one who mistrusts government so much, you sure expect a lot of compassion from it.

JOHN