 Off-Topic / Debate / 21759
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 21:29:48 GMT

   Well, if they are legalized, then we can assume the price would drop dramatically thus making them affordable, and we could also assume that availability would be much greater, and we could also assume that drug companies would be advertising their products. All of that equals increased usage in my mind.

So instead of legalizing something relatively benign like pharmaceutical grade cocaine or heroin, you have de facto readily available garbage like crack. Crack is cheap, powerfully addictive, and TRULY ruins people’s lives quite quickly.

What you are engaging in is chemical snobbery. Your whole life is a series of bio-chemical responses to stimuli. You are a married man and a father -- all of which is linked to things like hormones and endorphins. Love may be little more than a chemical interaction between persons during their stongest mating years. “Love” seems to last around 4-6 years, interestingly just enough time to mate, have a child, and bring that child out of its most vulnerable years. Check the divorce rate for a comparison of the timing involved.

What business is it of yours if people want to ruin their lives with drugs? I don’t wish such a life for people myself -- drugs can indeed swallow up your life; but I choose not to involve myself in the private decisions of free persons. Even 12 step programs teach us that you cannot force people out of their chosen addictions. So be it!

You come home at the end of the day, hug your kids, and score an endorphin rush. You get your high naturally and spend a glowing evening transfixed with natural body opiates. Another person chooses something different -- crack at the end of their pipe! They smoke up and spend some time gaga staring at a blank wall. As long as you both leave me alone -- I don’t care and I don’t mind.

Make things illegal and surprise, surprise -- you have also just created a black market and a whole host of illegal activities surrounding the creation, procurement, and use of said illegal thing. Prohibition taught us that while simultaneously saddling society with Capones on the one side and Kennedys on the other.

I’d rather have everything more out in the open, seeing as how it is readily available anyway. I’d also like to control its quality (make it less dangerous in use) and tax it.

You are concerned with the dangers of abuse, but we have that already. You can argue that it’s a matter of degrees, but you don’t actually know what a freer society or culture would be like. The lure of forbidden fruit is extremely appealing. Make things more acceptable and see if you don’t actually drive down the coolness factor of drug use.

I don’t really use drugs, but then they don’t really signify anything to me except what the drug itself might provide. I don’t think heroin is cool. I have never had the desire to be sedated except when I’m in great pain. I like being “up” but all cocaine really does is make you feel somewhat euphoric. If cocaine is keeping you up at night, it’s been cut with something harsher. How boring...

But again, if someone else loves those varied sensations it’s not my business.

-- Hop-Frog