 Off-Topic / Debate / 21756
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:26:52 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   I’m not really concerned about placing blame, but about the aftermath of their destructive behavior. Whose fault would it be if our society legalized coke and some crackhead drving on the wrong side of the road killed you and your family? As I mentioned before, when we as a society are willing to come down HARD on drunk drivers, that is when I will feel safe about legalizing drugs.

First I should state that I belive we should make driving while intoxicated a capital offense. (meaning that it can be punishable by execution once the court system is overhauled, until them life imprisonment)

Um, okay, that’s “hard”:-) But yes, it is only that kind of “no tolerance” policy that is going to change public behavior. That said, I think it would definitely lead to an increase in the prison population (addressing Richard’s qualm), at least in the short term. But honestly, I don’t think the American public has the stomach for such draconian measures, and so I fear the point is moot, and thus I fear that the legalizing of drugs would be an unmitigated disaster.

   Second why do you assume that leagalizing drugs will increase the usage of them? I would argue anyone who wants to is already using them legal or not. Why else would the drug industry be able to out spend the governments “trying” to stop them?

Well, if they are legalized, then we can assume the price would drop dramatically thus making them affordable, and we could also assume that availability would be much greater, and we could also assume that drug companies would be advertising their products. All of that equals increased usage in my mind.

I think most people don’t do drugs because they don’t want to risk their lives/health/saftey, not because it is too expensive. Personally I don’t smoke, drink, or do drugs. The bottom line is that using drugs does not fall under the category of rape, murder, or stealing and as such should not be illegal. Now driving while intoxicated classifies as potential murder and should be punished accordingly. You use the example of drinking, well does that mean we should outlaw drinking (even though that experiment failed miserably once and we have the same cirumstances with drugs now) because a few thousand people drive drunk even though millions do not?

-Mike Petrucelli