 Off-Topic / Debate / 21698
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

I am still baffeled at the 'logic' of punishing someone for defending thier
own property/lives.

  Doh!  Straw man!

  No one is punishing anyone for "defending their own property/lives."  Instead,
people are being forced to accept the consequences of their actions when they
choose to kill someone.  Unless there is no way to defend yourself short of
killing the intruder (which you must demonstrate), then you've acted with
excessive force.
  To extend your logic, I could justifiably kill just about anyone in my house,
as long as I make the claim that I thought that the person was an intruder, or I
thought that I was in danger.  The problem is that, once the "intruder" is dead,
it's hard to ascertain his side of the story.

  What is your intent in killing the supposed intruder?  Is it to stop the
intruder from posing a danger, or is your goal instead to punish the intruder,
thereby appointing yourself judge/jury/executioner?  Would you undertake an
action of lesser force, if that action would have stopped the intruder?  For
example, if you're upstairs and you hear an intruder downstairs, would you rush
down the steps, guns blazing?  Or would you consider announcing that you are
armed, perhaps loudly cocking a shotgun for emphasis?
  The reason I ask is because I perceive that your intent is to open fire
without considering other possibilities, and you seem not to want to accept the
responsibility for such rash action.  I know from previous posts that you
embrace the idea of personal responsibility, so I confess that I'm puzzled at
the apparent shift.

     Dave!