 Off-Topic / Debate / 21712
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:49:15 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   here in the real world where dialing 911 is more likely to cause an intruder to shoot you than have the police save you, I am not willing to take that chance.

Cite, please.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0964230445/qid%3D1059146806/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-0104068-8816630

Thanks for the link. A quick run around the Internet finds no mention of the book except on Amazon and a few dozen rabidly pro-gun websites. In itself, that’s not a refutation of the book’s value, but I’m hesitant to assess its worth from such zealous sources. Additionally, although we can’t judge a book by its cover, I’m amused by the Mike Hammer-esque cover illustration shown on Amazon. I’ll see if I can track the book down locally and give it a looksee.

Oh the book is obviously conservatively biased, but the basic information pertaining to the Government successfully winning court cases which conclude they have no obligation to respond to 911 calls and/or insure the safty of specific individuals isn’t exactly hard to spin that way.

   I’ve never heard this statistic and would value the chance to review the study that produced it.

Its right up there with the myth that police actually prevent crime rather than the reality of the fact that they simply investigating after the fact 99.99 percent of the time.

How, exactly, do you determine the number of crimes that are prevented? Such a figure would have no value unless we know the total number of potential crimes versus the total number of committed crimes, and even then you’d have to demonstrate how you determine which crime is prevented by which factor. In short, that’s an unknowable statistic.

Ok I will agree that it is an unknowable statistic but it is not exactly a leap of faith to say that virtually all of the time the police simply investigate after the fact.

-Mike Petrucelli