 Off-Topic / Debate / 21780
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:11:48 GMT

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Mandatory life sentences create very dangerous, panicked offenders.

If you were DUI and killed someone, and you KNEW that you were guaranteed a life
sentence, what exactly do you lose in trying to run, possibly killing more people
(think a DUI hitting a pedestrian, which happens a lot - the car is usually quite
drivable afterwards)?

I could see a mandatory 10-20 year sentence for a death, allowing up to life, but a
mandatory life?  Uh-uh.

This is an incredibly important consideration that the pro-Death Penalty
and lock-em-up-and-throw-the-key-away people tend to totally ignore.

There are a few things that do justify indefinite incarceration, but
very few in my mind, for just this reason.

What we need are effective forms of rehabilitation, and good ways to
identify hopeless cases (given a good enough way to identify hopeless
cases, I would even support a limited death penalty).

One Oregon county really lacks a clue on rehabilitation. They refuse to
give parolees help in finding housing. They also don't let the parolees
leave the county. They also don't allow tents on the parking lot that
they expect any parolee who fails to find housing in the county to live
in. What a recipe for recidivism (of course I sense a certain sick
desire on some of the leuattka people to see parolees violate parole so
they can justify ever harsher sentences - heck, why don't we make it
easy and just use the death penalty for all crimes, afterall, anyone who
commits a crime is obviously not fit to be a citizen, and hey, to not
waste nature's investment in the body, let's harvest 'em for organs
(1)).

Frank

(1) Extra points for being the first to identify the SF reference I'm
thinking of here...