 Off-Topic / Debate / 21702
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:40:45 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

snip

   I am still baffeled at the ‘logic’ of punishing someone for defending thier own property/lives.

-Mike Petrucelli

And I am baffeled at the ‘logic’ of taking a life over a television set.

Dave K

Ok seriously, how can you determine that is the only reason someone would have broken into your home? I won’t give them the benefit of the doubt, if you want to in your home that is fine. In an idealistic world if I could somehow magically know they only wanted to steal then I would agree with you 100 percent, let the police handle it. However here in the real world where dialing 911 is more likely to cause an intruder to shoot you than have the police save you, I am not willing to take that chance. Their life will be in my hands not the other way around. And for the record, if there is an opportunity to incapacitate them without killing them I would do that, but I will not unnecessarily risk my life and those living in my house to do so.

-Mike Petrucelli

ANd right back at you--how can you determine that the guy breaking into your house is out to kill you, instead of just taking your television? Again, look at the stats--thousands on thousands of cases of petty theft and burglary, and a scant few of murderous rampages.

Why would I give someone that broke into my home the benefit of the doubt?

Willing to take the chance? Ending someone’s life on the slim to nil chance that they’re there for more than your stereo? You’re as bad as the criminal.

At least your final line is something a little more rational--I would agree with the incapacitation of said felon.

I would only incapacitate them if I could do so without risk to my life or loved ones. (such as a swift kick to the back of the head followed by several more to make darn sure he is unconscious)

-Mike Petrucelli