 Off-Topic / Debate / 21687
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:20:46 GMT

   And this is civilized? Jaywalking warrants the death penalty?

Jaywalking is not a variant of rape, murder, or stealing, its just stupid.

It’s also against the law. And your rationale is to shoot people who are breaking the law

No I don’t care about what is legal or illegal. I care about what is morally right and wrong. If it is rape, murder, or stealing it is morally wrong by any religion or lack thereof. If it is defending ones life and property, even if that means killing the possible attacker (because I am not going to risk my life waiting to see if all they want is to do is steal) that is morally right.

   because if they break one, i.e. breaking into your house, they will end up threatening you at some point, therefore they must be shot. How’s that for misconstruing?

No I think you finally figured it out. Or maybe not. Oh wait, I know maybe I wasn’t clear enough describing stealing, rape, and murder as all equal evils.

   You are making a life-threating assumption that the person breaking into your house is only there to steal.

And you are taking his life on the equal assumption that he is bbreaking into your house to kill you.

If he is breaking into my house then it is my right to assume the worst and act accordingly. Your ‘law’ ends at my property line and my and my loved ones lives.

   No, assuming the worst and acting accordingly (whether that is ‘shoot first’, stab first, piano wire, gouching the persons eyes out, or anything else) is not insane it is intelligent. Why would I wait until it is too late to determine the intent of someone who breaks into my home?

No, it’s ‘gun toting yahooism’ and if you don’t like being saddled with the description, don’t be one.

Hey you have the right to belive whatever you want. If defending my life and property makes me a ‘gun toting yahoo’ in your mind, then thats what I am. Although you should know that crossbow bolts go through kevlar better and of course kevlar won’t even stop a sword thrust. Maybe you should just call me a ‘yahoo’ in your little orderly world view.

   At least you can then cop that plea and get off on a lighter sentence.

Why would I be arrested for defending my property from invasion? Is this so called ‘civil’ society you live in that stupid that they seek to lock up those that are willing to defend themselves rather than calling 911 and praying like helpless little children?

Why shouldn’t you be arrested for killing someone who hadn’t threatened your life? He was 16 years old and was running away (supposedly) when he was shot in the back. Doesn’t sound like much of a threat to me.

And how would I not know if he was going to get a weapon realizing I had one. I am sorry but if someone breaks into my house I am not going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they are not and/or would not return, armed.

-Mike Petrucelli