 Off-Topic / Debate / 21721
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 03:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:
   This is more of the usual right-wing idiocy. Beat down the victims of right-wing callousness. The problem is not incarcerating real criminals, the problem is the creation of crime!

Sure, crime isn’t the criminal’s fault, it’s society’s!

   We are trying to legislate morality by creating whole categories of crime that then overwhelm our prisons. It is pretty much an undeniable fact (plowed ground here in debate) that the U.S. is the most incarcerated nation on earth. Land of the free? Not bloody likely...

You know, I’ve been meaning to ask you about that. So what if we have the hightest incarceration rate in the world. Should there be some magical limit? We as a society have certain norms about expected behavior. You violate that and you will be punished. Don’t like it? Move to where that kind of behavior isn’t shunned. And I don’t mean that as a glib “love it or leave it” crack, but to recognize that our society is different than others. We are more modest, etc, blah, blah. Different isn’t bad, just different. So if we want to make drug use illegal, so what?

   I don’t have a problem with humanely incarcerating thieves, rapists, and murderers -- nor should you. These dangerous persons need to be contained and the prejudicial manner in which capital punishment is actually carried out in this country prevents a sane and fair person from being able to co-sign death sentences. Humane containment is our only real option.

But incarcating hardcore capitalists like drug-dealers? C’mon, how does that make sense? Legalize it, educated people in it’s possible pro and con effects, lab produce it to control it’s quality to prevent OD, and tax it. Viola! A whole new industry creating jobs and tax revenues instead of the status quo prison-housed leeches.

How simple and naive you are! It sounds really good on paper, but drugs, gambling, etc, have a very real tendency to destroy lives. How about raising healthy, well-adjusted citizens who have no need for such destructive lifestyles?

   From another angle, it’s not the money -- it’s how you spend it! Someone said $40K + per annum to house a criminal. How about just giving him a decent education or apprenticeship in a useful trade in the first place?

LOL Good one! Why do you think criminals steal in the first place? Because they would rather risk an easy score than to actually work for a living! You are naive!

JOHN