 Off-Topic / Debate / 21718
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:41:36 GMT

   How about having the police services *deter* people from committing crimes in the first place.

Basically what you are arguing for is an increase in law enforcement personnel, which is fine (although adding to the tax burden), but in the end I don’t think it will decrease the crime rate that much, although significantly drive pastry sales;-)

The problem IMO is that punishments don’t fit the crimes. Criminals do not fear retribution from the system if they are caught. Our prisons are cushy affairs, complete with 3 squares, healthcare, exercise facilities, cable, internet access, etc. While creating such environments is humane, it ends up hurting the overall effect of deterrance. The only saving effect of prison is the physical removal of the criminal from society, but even that is compromised by the parole system. We live in a free society, but a free society can only function properly if its citizens respect each other’s rights. And many citizens (the immoral ones, that is) won’t respect rights unless they truly fear the consequences of not doing so.

So, I boil it down to morality. How can a free society function without morality, and how does a society raise its children to become moral citizens?

JOHN