 Off-Topic / Debate / 21726
Re: Tony Martin case: You can't {make up} better criticism of Liberals!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:34:22 GMT

   You are naive!

Yeah, that’s the big problem -- my naïveté!

Growing prison populations challenge already cash-strapped states

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/07/27/prison.population.ap/index.html#

WASHINGTON (AP) -- America’s prison population grew again in 2002 despite a declining crime rate, costing the federal government and states an estimated $40 billion a year at a time of rampant budget shortfalls.

The inmate population in 2002 of more than 2.1 million represented a 2.6 percent increase over 2001, according to a report released Sunday by the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Preliminary FBI statistics showed a 0.2 percent drop in overall crime during the same span.

Experts say mandatory sentences, especially for nonviolent drug offenders, are a major reason inmate populations have risen for 30 years. About one of every 143 U.S. residents was in the federal, state or local custody at year’s end.

Interestingly, John -- legal pharmaceutical grade cocaine would cost as little as maybe $5 a gram. Heroin would have a similar price probably. Neither type of user is harmful to others -- not when they do not have to resort to theft or prostitution to get their fix! A $5 a day habit is no worse than a pack of cigarettes.

But right, I’m an idiot. What was I thinking?

-- Hop-Frog