 Off-Topic / Debate / 21725
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:16:49 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison wrote:
   Hey fellas,

I’ve read a few of the many recent posts about firearms and whatnot. Welp, it’s late and I feel like rambling a bit. Bear with me.

Why is it that people dislike firearms so? I don’t mean to pick on anyone, but in recent posts Dave and Scott have been forerunners in this, so...

Dave and Scott. If someone broke into your house, and you had at your disposal a tool(weapon, whatever) to dispatch said person (form your own conclusions on the definition of that), wouldn’t you use it? I certainly wouldn’t walk up and politely tap them on the shoulder and ask them nicely to leave. They could very well pull out a gun and shoot you and your family. I’d rather live with the fact that I took a human life (in self defense, cold blood, whatever you want to call it) than die because I didn’t act. I knew a couple, lived close to me, that had their home invaded. They called 911 and hid in a closet. They were found and each had a bullet put in their brains. The horrid and sad truth is that there are people in this world that will kill you for nothing more than something to do. If nothing else, I’d at least go down fighting.

Ah. But I don’t live in the USA; I live in Scotland (think Whisky, Haggis, Great Scenery & Rain). Where I live only 1 or 2 home-owners are killed by burglars each year. In 2000 there were a total of 64 (sixy-four) handgun offences in Scotland.

If handgun ownership were deregulated here, I expect both numbers would rise. ;)

Scott A

As many know, I was raised in the prescense of firearms, and was taught to use them properly, and above *all else* respect them. That means don’t play around and point it at your friend, don’t leave them laying out where little kids can find them, etc. I’m a gunowner. That doesn’t mean I think everyone is entitled to own bazookas and the like. My dad’s a lifetime NRA member (insert joke and/or comment here), and I get into debates with him regularly about gun control and such.

I think I had a point in there somewhere, but eh? What do I know - I’m just a gun toting yahoo.

-Chris