 Off-Topic / Debate / 21714
21713  |  21715
Subject:
Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 03:42:18 GMT

Hey fellas,

I've read a few of the many recent posts about firearms and whatnot.  Welp, it's
late and I feel like rambling a bit.  Bear with me.

Why is it that people dislike firearms so?  I don't mean to pick on anyone, but
in recent posts Dave and Scott have been forerunners in this, so...

Dave and Scott.  If someone broke into your house, and you had at your disposal
a tool(weapon, whatever) to dispatch said person (form your own conclusions on
the definition of that), wouldn't you use it?  I certainly wouldn't walk up and
politely tap them on the shoulder and ask them nicely to leave.  They could very
well pull out a gun and shoot you and your family.  I'd rather live with the
fact that I took a human life (in self defense, cold blood, whatever you want to
call it) than die because I didn't act.  I knew a couple, lived close to me,
that had their home invaded.  They called 911 and hid in a closet.  They were
found and each had a bullet put in their brains.  The horrid and sad truth is
that there are people in this world that will kill you for nothing more than
something to do.  If nothing else, I'd at least go down fighting.

As many know, I was raised in the prescense of firearms, and was taught to use
them properly, and above *all else* respect them.  That means don't play around
and point it at your friend, don't leave them laying out where little kids can
find them, etc.  I'm a gunowner.  That doesn't mean I think everyone is entitled
to own bazookas and the like.  My dad's a lifetime NRA member (insert joke
and/or comment here), and I get into debates with him regularly about gun
control and such.

I think I had a point in there somewhere, but eh?  What do I know - I'm just a
gun toting yahoo.

-Chris