 Off-Topic / Debate / 21728
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:52:01 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Maddison wrote:

Why is it that people dislike firearms so?  I don't mean to pick on anyone,
but in recent posts Dave and Scott have been forerunners in this, so...

Dave and Scott.  If someone broke into your house, and you had at your
disposal a tool(weapon, whatever) to dispatch said person (form your own
conclusions on the definition of that), wouldn't you use it?

   As one of the Daves in this go-around, I'll offer my thoughts in response.

   I should underscore outright that I'm definitely not anti-gun.  I admit that
I have leaned more in that direction in the past, but my opinion has evolved,
and I no longer think that gun ownership is the essence of the problem.  Some
here (Hop-Frog, most eloquently) have argued that the right to bear arms is the
last line of defense against an out-of-control government.  Given that our
current government was taken over without a single shot being fired
(domestically, at least) I don't know that I'm yet convinced of that point, but
I accept that, if the situation were to expand to the level of other dictatorial
countries, then the fact of private gun ownership might make all the difference.
  As to your question re: dispatching an intruder, I must object that your
phrasing poses another false dilemma.  I would restate the question like this:
"If someone broke into your house, and you could either dispatch the person or
prevent harm to yourself and family through other means, which would you
choose?"  I would certainly take the latter option, whether that meant
announcing that I am armed (loudly cocking a shotgun for emphasis), securing
myself and family in a safe area (NOT simply hiding in a closet), or perhaps
exiting the house altogether and waiting for the cops to arrive.
  I grant you that, if faced with the situation in real life, my reaction would
likely be more primal, but what is interesting to me is that some people in this
kind of debate automatically say "I'd shoot the intruder until I was sure he was
dead" without even considering the possibility of other options.  Additionally,
if I were to kill an intruder, I would accept the resultant responsibility for
my actions, rather than simply claiming carte blanche in defense of my castle.

  In essence, my objection is not to guns or to gun ownership, but instead to
the "shoot first, end of story" mindset that is rampant in the US.

     Dave!