 Off-Topic / Debate / 21779
Re: The War That Never Ends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:59:53 GMT

   What is your definition of “imperfect safety”? As long as other people are killed by terrorists and I can still have my freedom, I can live with imperfect safety. Well what if you were in one of those towers? Tell me how you can live through that! You basically are willing to roll the dice and hope your number doesn’t come up. Other people may want a more secure response to terrorism.

Please explain with great specificity how the twin invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq have made us safer from terrorism. Of course, keep in my mind that there is much intelligence claiming the exact opposite of your probably false assertion that these wars are making us “safer.”

We all roll the dice every day, John. Such is life -- death looms always. Everyone knows this simple fact.

What I specifically object to in your whole tone and manner is your apparent willingness to quite easily sacrifice the very things that define us and make being an American worthwhile -- our civil liberties! Without those very civil rights, there is little point in defending a U.S. that in essence has already ceased to exist. To defend a U.S. void of it’s freedom principles is to defend a house that has been plundered already -- to defend nothing.

   I’m curious. Do you feel that FDR abhorred the US Constitution? Actually, I’ll bet you think every US president sucked, because you and your type are all about pointing fingers, blaming and critizing and nothing about actual solutions in the real world.

Great, lump me in with the Founding Fathers -- AGAIN! The govt. is not your friend -- if that idea was good enough for Thomas Jefferson, it’s good enough for me.

BTW, there are myriad solutions to any given situation before before war becomes the only solution. Violence is the solution of the intellectually challenged. For example, Shrub has claimed that we went to war with Iraq because Saddam wouldn’t let the weapons inspectors in -- but he did let them in! I’d have to say that Shrub either fails to understand simple facts of reality, or that he is a bold faced liar pushing a very specific agenda.

And yes, I think FDR did a lot of despicable things. Of course, so had Wall Street, the Banking industry and a lot of others empowered by Title 12 of the Federal codes. That our economy is driven roughshod by private elite groups for their own gain is not really a question, is it?

   Ahh, is that how you’d characterize the butchery of Saddam Hussein-- “sovereign affairs”? You are disgusting.

I characterize it as not my business, but possibly the business of the U.N. because that’s how we have agreed to do things in order to keep the peace.

When will you admit that everything Shrub has done has been predicated on a series of falsehoods?

-- Hop-Frog