 Off-Topic / Debate / 21773
Re: The War That Never Ends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 14:56:01 GMT

   Here is one for the conspiracy theorists: what if we know full well that SA is behind al-Qaeda but attacking her is out of the question (seeing as how she is supposed to be our ally, but we attacked Iraq instead as a sort of veiled threat to them.

It is my understanding that the money for AQ is known to come from SA, it is not conjecture at this point (if it ever was). The question is: does the SA govt. condone or even know about this activity?

Obviously, attacking SA is out of the question. Our oil deals are more important than 3K unimportant americans, right?

We attacked Iraq because we wanted their geography and oil for strategic advancement of some people’s weirder world power goals. How can this be a mere conspiracy theory when all other reasons for doing it have proven false?

Digression: I come to you and say I am going to do X for reasons A and B, but not reason C (a reason that seems logical, but that must be put down for political reasons). You come to realize that reasons A and B are false. While that doesn’t automatically make reason C true, it certainly makes the reason suspiciously probable based upon the original denial.

Lastly, attacking one country as a veiled threat to another is the most reprehensible act I can think of next to fighting a preemptive war. This isn’t Shrub’s first day in prison, after all...not yet!

   That way we rid ourselves of the slimeball SH AND send a serious message to > the Kingdom that says “we aren’t just whistling dixie here about going after > world terrorism; clean up your act or you are next”

Oh, but we are just whistling Dixie here. You cannot fight a largely unknown power. You can increase security (and we should do so in all civil rights respecting ways), but that’s about it.

You can’t wage “war” against drugs or terrorism, not when the people involved keep changing up as quickly as you can whistle Dixie.

That’s what makes this such a great war -- it can never end! The U.S. govt. is peddling a protection racket: we’ll keep you safe but it’s going to cost you, right Luigi?

-- Hop-Frog