 Off-Topic / Debate / 21775
Re: The War That Never Ends
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:30:49 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

   Oh, but we are just whistling Dixie here. You cannot fight a largely unknown power.

Bush & Co think so. I think that they are correct. We shall see...

   You can increase security (and we should do so in all civil rights respecting ways), but that’s about it.

That’s it! Isn’t this the entire crux of the issue? How does a free and open society protect itself while respecting civil rights? The answer and dirty little secret is IT CAN’T! And the terrorists know this! That is why they use our love of freedom and turn it against us! They know (or thought they did) that the US doesn’t have the stomach to fight such a threat, that we would negotiate or simply acquiesce (as the USSR did in Afganistan). The fact remains that SOMEBODY needs to stand up to these scumbags and hunt them down and wipe them from the face of the earth as an example for other future potential scum followers to see, as potential state sponsors of terrorism have seen WRT the fates of the Taliban and SH’s evil regime.

John, as an outsider, this is not convincing. Half the people you are worried about today were your allies a few years ago! What has changed to ensure the torturers and murderers the USA is nurturing today won’t kick you in the ass in 10 years time?

An influential UK report published today suggests Bush is increasing AQ’s power base – an entirely foreseeable eventuality. We need to attack the cause – not the symptoms or media bogymen. We need to defend freedom – not self interest.

Scott A

JOHN