 Off-Topic / Debate / 17762
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:51:11 GMT

David Koudys wrote:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:

[Frnk's] Type is ENFP
Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
44          56        33      33

[Dave K's] Type is
INFP
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
Strength of the preferences %
44 33 22 56

If I were to guess, I would say that Dave! is ESTP, Chris is ISTJ and Larry
is ESTJ

OK, I took this silliness.

Chris' Type is INFP (44 67 33 33)

I am theoretically exactly as introverted as DaveK.

Chris

It is silliness.  But it's like The Simpsons silliness--is fun!  And if
you're not careful about it, you may learn something about yourself :)

I'm not all that introverted--I like going to parties and such, but by the
end of an evening, I'm tired, and not pumped up on adrenaline like my
significant other.  She goes on talking all the drive home about who said
what, and who dressed in this, and "Oh weren't those two such a cute
couple!!  We should double with them sometime..." and all I wanna do is find
a nice, comfortable bed to crawl into and sleep until noon the next day.

You just described for yourself exactly what the MBTI means by
Introverted. MBTI Introverted doesn't mean "doesn't like being with
people" it means something more like "isn't energized by being with
people". Your SO is a classic MBTI Extrovert.

I personally don't think the MBTI is silly, though I also don't plan my
life based on it. It does seem to do a pretty good job of identifying
some major characteristics of personality. I don't think it's in the
same category as Astrology (which tries to tell you something about
yourself based on the location of the planets - personally, I think that
if there's anything to Astrology, it's got more to do with the season
you were born, I'd be curious if the Astrological types fit people who
didn't spend their first couple of years in the temperate zone of the
Northern hemisphere).

For myself, one thing which validated it was that the first time I took
the instrument I came out INTJ, the second ENFP. When I took it the 2nd
time, I read most of the descriptions. The ENFP description fit the
best, but from looking at everything, I could see a reason why I might
have shown as an INTJ the first time. I can also see a variety of
childhood things which pushed me away from ENFP.

Of course I think the most valuable part of the whole thing is to
realize that people have very different psyches. It's useful for you and
your SO to understand that she is energized by parties while you are
worn out. It doesn't mean you should go to parties, or that you don't
enjoy them. It just means that you will need some rest and quiet time.
But you also have to support your SOs need to talk about the party on
the drive home, but then when you get home, she needs to respect your
needs, and let you curl up in bed with a book, or just go to sleep. Now
perhaps you've figured this out another way, which is cool, but if you
didn't understand the difference and it was causing problems, the MBTI
is one tool which might help explain the differences.

Frank