 Off-Topic / Debate / 17668
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 05:09:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz writes:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/Midwest/09/21/video.child.beating/index.html

Frank:

I completely share your concerns, but I think this is may be the wrong case
to choose to make your point.  I followed the link and found this paragraph:

"Police have been searching for Gorman Toogood since September 13, when a
surveillance camera in a department store parking lot videotaped her
apparently slapping and punching the girl inside an SUV, after first looking
around to see if anyone was watching."

I therefore note the following things in this instance:

1) The surveillance took place in a public space, not somewhere where one
has a genuine expectation of privacy (say like one's home).

2) She was seen to look around to see if she was observed, from which one
might assume something like "consciousness of guilt" about the acts to follow.

3) It says, "slapping and punching" -- that's a little beyond the more
normal brief spanking or single slap.

I don't know that I can condone anything beyond a humbling spanking (more
intended to communicate displeasure with the child than to actually hurt
him/her), but I am not sure that slapping alone is a sign of abuse either.
But it says "punching" -- that's probably bad juju.  A blow strong enough to
be punched might hurt the child for real.  They say shaking a child can hurt
it, I suppose a blow to the head is not good either.  Bear in mind, I have
no children of my own.  BTW, I am not sure taking the child away from its
family is a great idea either.  Unless the child was seriously injured, this
is the time to look at this situation as a cause for concern and official
interferance from family services.  The mother needs counseling and maybe
the threat of more serious future legal sanction should any abuse continue,
the Father and child probably need counseling in dealing with the mother.

I don't know.  It's a tough call given so little info. The woman in question
is obviously no saint, but she may not yet be a criminal either.  At the
same time she needs to learn how to manage her anger, and certainly never to
take it out on her child.  Assuming she is otherwise a normal person, I bet
she loves her daughter when she isn't freaking out because of her out of
control anger/frustration.  I see no reason why the daughter wasn't given
ino the care of the father given that the two boys of the family are also in
his care. A foster family is better than the kid's dad?

I don't get the charges against the sister at all.  That part is madness.

-- Hop-Frog