 Off-Topic / Debate / 17730
Re: Is this an overreaction and a violation of rights?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:35:35 GMT

I have collected a largish sample (two batches of 30) of these tests before.
After a few I noticed there are two types of test-takers: those who are
all-or-nothing to whichever side of each scale (almost half the sample), and
the rest.  I said this effect was correlated to the type result, but what
did I know about statistics then? I think now that the more times a person
takes these kinds of tests, the more muddled the results become.

Probably the worst abuse of this test is the pigeonholing festival that
follows. People trying to extrapolate to assumptions about other people and
claim a kind of club membership. ("INFPs wouldn't like Seattle - you and I
would be better off in Florida.") Then there are the career guidance
aspects, which can verge on silly. If it were true that certain types go
with certain careers then what are those people or professions missing out
on? Also it might be revelatory of "personality", but says nothing about
character. Then there is the implication that logic is a mere lifestyle
choice, the province of those who happen to prefer it.

It's just a test.